Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Chronicles of L.J. Stevans: Part. 18 One Hand Washes the Other

The Chronicles of L.J. Stevans: Part. 18 One Hand Washes the Other

-------------From Ellen------------

To My Brother,
I feel that it is time to settle this Logan, don't you? I'm tired of the words and I'm bored with you, so I have a proposition for your consideration. I want you dead, plain and simple. However, I know that since our pain of a Grandfather has helped you with that gift of time, I can no longer do the deed myself. I want to settle this like it was in the ancient times. No massive war, no dramatic pointless loss of life on both sides. There is a much bigger storm brewing, you know it as well as I, so there is no point in throwing soldiers lives away now. This is about you and me, so here is what I propose. It will be you against a champion of my choosing. One on one, no tricks, you win and I go quietly to the authorities and turn myself in. If my champion wins, I get your life, meaning you come with me no questions asked. It is a fair deal, don't you think?

Ellen

------------20 Minutes Later-----------


To Ellen,
I wish I had a witty or sarcastic retort to insert here, sister. However, The chance to give you the death you deserve has almost left me speechless. So....Yes. I accept. The small field by Harper's Lake, three days from now, noon. You may bring 5 people with you as will I, but they are not there to fight, only to act as an insurance policy, nothing more. Do my terms satisfy you, sister?

L.J. Stevans

-----------10 Minutes Later------------

Agreed! Till then brother, enjoy you last days of life.

Ellen

---------------5 Days Later----------------------

To the World,

I wanted to write sooner but I have had to recover a bit from injuries I sustained during our latest battle. I have many questions I need to ask myself after this ordeal but none greater than this. Why would I do something so careless? I knew that her word was no good but I never expected this. I never thought that this would be a fair fight, or that it was just a ploy to hit Milton in our absence. That's why I got the town ready for an attack. I just never figured their tactics were this underhanded. I underestimated their treachery. This is a day that both sides can claim a victory. Although it is clear to me, that we were dealt the greater loss.

It started so simple, I picked those I wanted to be with me. I chose Rebecca, for no other reason than I just didn't have a option. Even with her days away from delivery, she insisted that she be there and that she was still the best marks-woman we had. I could not refute her claims. Along with her I took the two eldest sons of Alexandra's, Kyle and Henry. They were experienced and I trusted them. Last but not least there was John Simmons and the young man that asked me about love a while back, Brad, a boy of a mere 18 years. Brad has become like a shadow to me since that night by the fire, he has learned a great deal, along with the fact that he was very strong and more than capable in a fight. We arrived on the agreed upon location almost at the same time Ellen and her men did.

She and four men stayed on their hill, and a man could be seen walking down to the field. He was a tall thick legged man, maybe five inches taller than myself. He carried a giant hammer with an ax on the the other end, his arms pulsated as he moved it around. He was showing me that this weapon of his was not only heavy but that he was more than strong enough to wield it easily. I'm sure it also was a means of intimidation and if it was it was working. I looked over to Rebecca and her eyes were beginning to water. I hugged her and told her no matter what happens that she must put an arrow through Ellen's chest. She was not going to escape no matter what the outcome would be. I kissed her, it seemed to last minutes, I loved this woman so much that it pained me to pull away and head down to the fight.

We reached each other quickly, he said nothing to me. He just stood there nearly growling at me. I pulled my silver dagger from its sheath and reached for my short sword when I realized it was not there. In its place was a curved blade I knew well, it was Jacks sword, he called it Black Death. It was all dark black except for the edged side that was red as blood. I looked back to Rebecca and smiled at me. As I turned around I just managed to get out of the way of a sweeping hammer blow that would have ended me. I rolled back and regained my footing. I moved in and got him to swing again, he came downwards with the ax head this time, I side stepped it and countered. It went on like this for several minutes, I figured I could just wait and get him tired out but I was mistaken. He seemed to be getting stronger and more relaxed as we danced. I used a quick left to right step, he anticipated correctly and I was met with a blow from the hammer swatting me far to the left and to the ground. My arm was broken and I lost Black Death. It was then that I noticed this man was not crushing my skull in but looking up to the hill instead. As I followed his gaze to Ellen I realized something, this was a trap.

Ellen and her men started racing down the hill. All my group except Rebecca came down as well. I looked up just in time to roll away from the killing blow of Ellen's champions hammer, as it hit the ground I stabbed my dagger into his foot, he let out a mighty roar of pain. He brought his hammer back over his head in rage but as he did he left himself wide open. I found Black Death next to me I dropped my dagger as I went for the sword, I stabbed upwards slicing right through his belly. He fell back and then to the ground. I was getting back to my feet as the rest of our two groups collided in front of me. Ellen seemed to snarl at me as we rushed at each other. I only had one arm but I had to end this. As our swords rang against the other, I noticed she kept looking up to the hill where Rebecca was. A smile spread across her face, I knew then I had made a huge mistake. “What did you do?' I cried. “Nothing, brother. Father wanted to meet her, that's all.” She laughed at me.

The next series of event, I did not see my self. I turned to run to Rebecca and Ellen put a bullet through my leg. I fell to the ground and rolled over just in time to see Ellen standing over me holding my Silver dagger. She brought the blade up high with the intent to drive it through my heart, as she was driving it down......I'll leave that part to Rebecca to explain.

-------------Rebecca sits down------------


I knew something was wrong when I saw Ellen and her men coming down the hill, I was so scared for Logan, I thought that brute had him for certain. I told the rest of our men to go down and help. I never thought that I would be in any danger, then again I never thought that this was nothing more than a set up. “So you must be Rebecca.” I heard coming from behind me. I turned and saw an older man, a man that looked like L.J., just older and.... for a lack of a better term....devious. “Logan was a fool to bring you along and now he will suffer for it, and once again know the agony of loss.” He started forward at me, sword drawn. A second voice stopped him in his tracks. “Stop” I heard someone yell out. As Logan Sr. turned to face the direction of the sound, I looked over and saw a white haired old man who again looked very much like L.J.. “Hello Father.” Logan Sr. said flatly. “So is it time?” he calmly asked. The man I now knew to be the Historian nodded and came forth. “Help your husband girl!” He demanded of me. At that I turned and saw L.J. On the ground and hurt badly, I had to act fast.

-----------L.J. Takes a Seat and Continues-----------

Just as Ellen was bringing my own blade down to end my life, an arrow caught her directly in the chest, she fell to her knees. I started to rise up again, by this time my men had finished off the rest of hers and were coming to my aid. I order every one but Brad to go help Rebecca, I needed Brads help to get back to my feet and get me out of here. First I had one small piece of business to tend to. I looked to Ellen, she sat there on her knees clutching the arrow in disbelief. As I moved towards her to end this. She looked up to me with hate in her eyes, she spat at me and said ”I will not give you the pleasure” as she slit her own throat with my silver dagger. She hunched over and died at my feet. I would not be recovering my dagger, it was now tainted with hate and anger filled emotions, let it follow her to Hell.

I heard the clashing of swords up by Rebecca, she was now starting to head down to me, the battle I heard was fierce but brief. We all met up together at the base of the hill and started back to the top. Rebecca told me of my Grandfathers assistance, I knew we had to hurry to him. When we got there, what we saw.....it will haunt us to our final moments of life. The Historian was impaled on a large broad sword. I approached him and was about to check for any signs of life, suddenly I was startled by him grabbing my hand. “Listen closely Logan, take this key, it is to my vault where the history of time is stored, the truth is there Logan. Do not let your Father take your essence. If he gets it, he will destroy everything. He is very powerful now, maybe too powerful. There may be another person that can help you. He is a MacStevans, and immortal, but he may be more myth at this point. Check the records in the vault. You are all that stands in his way. Your three remaining sisters will be coming for that key, keep it from them at all costs. You must find another to be The Historian now, I have left you a note, describing where to find the Immortal that is to be my successor, along with the location of the vault. You wanted answers about the world, you will find them there. The truth is your true gift ...use it...goodby....L...J..”

With those words he was gone.

The road just got harder but we will face it together. As we started back home, I realized just how much damage I took. I had to be carried back, and knew I needed medical help soon, Rebecca came close to me and kissed me, she held my hand and told me she loved me. I knew how much we lost that day, it could have been much worse. My arm will heal as will the rest of my wounds. I think it's the pain of loss that sticks with us the longest. I am thankful we did not lose more. I will always re...mem...ber......um mm....I am sorry friends I must go. Rebecca just grabbed my hand......It's time.......I'm going to be a Father!

L.J. Stevans

1 comment:

  1. G'day Dave. I have tried a few times to post to this part, but have been unable to. Maybe this one will get through. I was riveted, reading what would happen to L.J and Rebecca. Now I am wondering, will they have a boy or girl. For some reason I am leaning towards a girl. Take care. Liz...

    ReplyDelete