Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bon Scott.

I, in this instance wanted to reply to a post as well as share a sad story. First awesome response Liz, and great story, hang on to that bottle for it is history. AC/DC is one of my Fav. bands of all time Top 5 of sure. Brian Johnson took the reigns of the band and released Back in Black in 1980 the rest, as they say is history, that part is common knowledge but what the common listener may not know is they were a hit band years before this. Even before Bon Scott AC/DC was a budding band and Bon Scott replaced Dave Evans as the lead singer of AC/DC in 1974 and they sky rocketed to fame with High Voltage and later TNT then Dirty deeds, Let there be Rock and Powerage and then really stuck it hard with Highway to Hell. They were about to work on Back in Black but Bon had a major problem with alcohol and it was just a matter of time before tragedy struck. On 19 February 1980, Scott, 33 at the time, passed out after a night of heavy drinking he passed out in a Renault 5 ( Car ) in South London. The following afternoon, he was found lifeless, and rushed to help but was already gone. After considering letting the band die with Scott they decided to ( at the insistence of Bon's mum ) to honor him with Back in Black which was released with Brian Johnson at the helm just 5 months after Bon's death, it is to this day the second highest selling album in history only surpassed by Thriller. Thank you Liz for your story I am glad I was able to put Bon's tale out there for those who did not know, so again take care of that bottle, Bon Scott memerobilia is not as common as it once was so you truly do have a treasure there if you ever want to snap a pic. and share I'd love to see it, how corny of me I know but hey I'm a fan. I'm glad we share many of the same likes and hopefully this will be an interesting tale for someone else to read.  Sorry to plod on like that but I enjoy recounting history in any form but when it's movie or music related I get really amped up so there you have it eye listeners. That story is actually the reason I never really got into drinking I was told it at 16 and it scared me straight. Peace guys.

1 comment:

  1. G'day Dave. Dirty Deeds and Highway to Hell would have to two of my favourite AC/DC songs. In Australia we referred to the band as Acca Dacca, probably something that still stands to this day. I will take a pic of the bottle for you Dave. It is packed away and has been for many, many years. I used to have it sitting with a lot of other stuff in a glass fronted cabinet, and when friends would ask "What's with the Coke bottle" I would tell the story behind it, but I never advertised the fact of where and how I got it. It got put away only because one of my daughters ex boyfriends at the time took a very keen interest in it and I was afraid of losing it, he mentioned to someone that as a prank he would swap it with another one. That really made me realise how easily that could happen, so it has been packed away ever since.I hadn't thought about it in a long time until you mentioned the band. I will find it again when we move house and take a pic for you then. Take care. Liz...

    ReplyDelete